Thursday, August 14, 2008

Something About Something

Bear with me for a while. This is just a ramble. A bunch of thoughts that are better off out of the way of more to come.

There is no literary value to this piece, and there is a higher probabilty you will not enjoy reading it. Read on if you're still curious. Or skip it now.

Language has...No. I meant speech is....No. That's not what I was saying either....

...What's the word for it? you know, those things you use to make another person see the world the way you do?

Ah! I have it. Words.

Words. I have always been intrigued by words. I don't think I will ever understand how to use them the way others usually do.

I know, I know, everyone has their own way of using words. But there's this general fear or respect or love towards these things, whenever they're used. All I can feel, is incredulity.

You see, I don't understand how words work. At least, they don't work that way with me, so I'm not sure. The same words that were offensive at one time are used in completely normal parlance now. And I wondered both at the feeling of offense and at the normalcy they have gained over time.

But the strangest thing about words? The more words I know, the more sparingly I can use them.

I find that to everything I am about to say, every opinion I construct in my mind with the words I have, has a counter opinion, an opposite viewpoint.

What I think is wrong is somehow right to a different set of eyes, or in a larger perspective. I think words have no absolutes. Try 'giving' words to something absolute, and it stops being so.

Throw a statement at yourself that you think is impossible to refute. And very soon, you will argue with yourself, and refute it.
Now here's an absolute statement : Maybe.

No matter how much you know. You will only know something about something.

No comments: