Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Wind Blows Eastward

I lie upon a changeless, yellow sea
Above me, is a fountain of hate
My lips, a parched well through which life runs free
For the wine of your love, the wait

My body is caked with despair's breath
A raiment suited to my plight
I wait amid sifting pores of death
Dear hope has not taken flight

I look to the tyrant, lord of endless thirst;

I am neither wanderer, nor sacrifice, nor feast
I am a mirage, not born of your heat
I shall shimmer away from your grasp
Though your malice dances underfoot
And even in the shade
Alive I shall be

Scorch me if you will
But hearken my tale
For in it lies the secret
To my tempered will...

In her eyes there is no oasis
But there is depth, there is mystery
And a shimmering image of me

She is not the fairest in the land
But she is of the earth
She has slept upon the sand

Her skin is not ivory, under the stars
But her embrace is a promise, unbreakable, warm
Her bosom is the desert's dream of wars
And of storm clouds taken form

'I will wait', she said
As the horizon swallowed me
The wind carried her whisper
Toward the blue seas

Her whisper binds my spirit
It is the call of the oud
Upon the velvet night
It tugs at the strands of my heart
And my solitude roars unraveled

Ten years I have walked
Served fortune like a slave
Now a shipwreck, then a war
Here an innocent life to save

But now I am done
I will wander no more
My longing sways in the twilight dust
The sand slumbers beneath


The wind now blows eastward
It wraps my face with rough, cool hands
My talon-brown eyes look towards
My home, a forgotten, dream-born land

And with the will of a galloping horde
Of black horses with star-sharp eyes
Those beat on the satin womb of the sands
The rhythm of a moon-white riq

I rise from the golden dust, a mystic
Of love that has too long been denied
Of oases that lost souls forever seek
Of music that is a thousand deserts wide

I walk to the hill that grows gently in the wind
I leave behind pain and wounds of memory
And they tumble as tiny avalanches, golden tears
Trickling towards a deepening valley in an endless sea

And dawn comes and kisses my unbelieving eyes
Guilty of having forgotten its caress, they cringe
And there in the far distance, at the fingertip of the skies
Is a solitary palm, blackened by a red disk, ascending

The wind blows eastward
I fall to my knees, my being takes wing
In the distance, the palm rises; a crooked shard,
A seif that pierces the emptiness within

No comments: